Saturday 14 April 2012

Sewing Experiments

For a long time I have been abusing my sewing machine by making it do freestyle embroidery, when its not really built for it. Bit like making me run the marathon - and no that's not going to happen.

So to explain more, my machine can not "drop its feed dogs". Those are the serrated teeth that pull the fabric through at the correct speed to help form the stitch. So I came across an article that expalined you can use a credit card to blank off the feed dogs. So I just happen to have a space credit card, out comes the craft knife. Phew that plastic is hard to cut through. You just stick the card over the feed dogs here's a picture.
You have to remove the presser foot too. Now I'm ready to have some fun.

This is the result, using straight stitch, zig-zag, and some of the embroidery stitches.

Well that went OK, broke the thread a couple of times but needle is still intact. If you want to learn more see below.

Now some news I shall be teaching a class at Slack Space on 19th July 2012 6.30 - 9.30 We will be exploring Sewing with paper fabric and embellishments. Hope some of you can come along!!!

5 comments:

  1. PS forgot to say ITS FREE!!! yes no cost to you, but I think you should book. XJ

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your new machine art. Good luck with the classes at Slack Space......xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with the classes.
    That's a great tip. Many thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are all read and appreciated. Hope you will forgive me if I miss commenting on your comment, I will be busy doing art :-) x Joan